Saturday, July 13, 2013

Another Fun Day Quilting

Today I've spent more time playing in my studio.  Amazing how much stress it can relieve just playing with fabric and moving things around.  Today would have been my dad's 79th birthday so I've been a little off today, but thanks to my wonderful husband, my studio and my precious friend Suzanne I've enjoyed today.  Suzanne didn't even know about dad's birthday, we just had fun playing.  She cam e over today to cut out some more fabrics for her Bonnie Hunter class and some kits for philanthropy quilts for the quild.

I've hung some more quilts in the studio today.  First I hung Mom's guild challenge quilt from 2007.  For the challenge you brought in a brown paper bag a UFO to the quilt meeting.  It could be blocks already pieced, cut out etc.  You then went home with another bag of someone else's UFO and had to make something out of what was in the bag.  Mom received a bag of log cabin blocks made with different plaids with black centers.  I thought they were horrible and told her to just throw them away.  But we didn't.  Mom and I had just taken the Square in a Square class at a local shop and were trying out the ruler.  We cut one of the block with the ruler and wow did it change how they looked.  We came up with the idea of a basket being turned over and dropping the blocks out.  I thought it was so cute.  She won 1st place at the guild challenge that year and a 2nd place at the Quilt show with the quilt.


 On the back of the quilt she pieced the remaining blocks that she started with into the backing.
I also hung my brown kaleidoscope quilt behind the couch in the studio.  I love the circular effect of the quilt.
 In another area I hung my 2006 Guild Challenge Quilt.  "I'll Get You My Little Pretty" was the name of this quilt.  The theme was the Wizard Of Oz.  It won 3rd place in the challenge and 3rd place at the Quilt Show.  I had a lot of fun making the quilt.  I used a piece of vinyl to make the globe for the quilt. 
 I'm not an artist, as you can see, but I had a lot of fun making this quilt.  My husband was glad to see me hang it in the studio.
 
Suzanne brought a pattern over for Quilt of Valor blocks.  I pulled from our cut bins of 3 1/2 inch squares and 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch bricks and pieced 13 blocks in just a few minutes.  How awesome is that!!  All we had to do was dig through the pile of already cut pieces.  Thanks Bonnie Hunter for making our quilting making days easier.  Your scrap user system is transforming the quilting world as we know it.  We're not just saving scraps, we're using them!

My bee girl Sue brought me a quart of fresh blue berries last night to bee, so today I decided to make a cobbler.  Being the "throw whatever you got" kind of cook I am I also added some apple pie filling to the cobbler.  So apple blueberry cobbler was born.  YUM YUM!  It was great.  Me, Roger and Suzanne snacked on it while we were quilting and I sent some home with Suzanne for her and Vince to have for supper.  Suzanne also brought me a gallon bag of blueberries today.  Now to fix something else with them.  Gina & Dave's blueberry bushes are sure putting out this year with all of the rain.  Suzanne has picked over 10 gallons while they have been gone.  God's blessings are abundant!
Better get back to sewing.  Happy quilting,
Shelia

1 comment:

Sue G said...

Hi Sheila! I found you a little bit ago. Love the work your hubby is doing for you! A wonderful studio to play in!!! Congratulations!!! on a new space!!!